Relax, Recharge, Reconnect
Escape to your very own exclusive use 15th century Scottish castle, the perfect base from which to explore Edinburgh and surroundings or just sit around for a blether and a not-so-wee dram with family and friends. There’s room for up to 14 people in 7 bedrooms, with some flexibility to squeeze in some more if you don’t mind sharing. Whether you want to gi’ it laldy or coorie doon by the fire, there’s something for everyone at Monkton House.
verb: to chat
expression: small glass of whisky
gi’ it laldy
expression: to do something with lots of energy and vigor
expression: snuggle down
The Castle (sleeps 13):
- Master bedroom suite with king-size four poster bed and en-suite luxury bathroom with whirlpool spa bath – 2 people
- bedroom with super king-size bed, en-suite bathroom – 2 people
- bedroom with king-size four poster bed – 2 people
- bedroom with king-size bed – 2 people
- bedroom with king-size bed and bunk beds – 5 people
- Shared shower room
The Cottage (sleeps 4)
- 2 king-size bedrooms
- 1 shared bathroom
Cots for babies and extra folding beds for children can be set up on request.
Scran & Swally
Monkton House is available primarily on a self-catering basis, but we can organise for some or all meals to be provided for you. East Lothian has a fou’some of wonderful caterers and fresh produce, as well as locally made gin, whisky, cider, beer and liqueurs. Several caterers offer both pre-prepared food for you to simply heat up at your convenience, or full formal service.
There are decanters of whisky and gin in the living rooms and we can provide a fill your fridge service if required.
noun: alcoholic drink(s)
noun: a fullness or abundance
Fun & games
The original 15th century vaulted kitchen on the ground floor has been set up as a tavern and the games room next to it has a pool table, foosball table, table tennis and air hockey.
There is a cinema with a selection of DVDs to choose from as well as Netflix and Amazon Prime.
The library is stocked up with a variety of board games, puzzles and books.
All public rooms have Bluetooth speakers for you to play your own favourite music.
Monkton House is a 15th century castle, built as a fortified tower. Unfortunately it is not accessible and is unlikely to be so in the near future. There are no bedrooms on the ground floor and no toilet on the same floor as the reception rooms. All reception rooms are up at least one flight of steps. There is the possibility of hiring a stair climber to transport a wheelchair up and down stairs. If this is something that you are interested in, please contact us.
Nearest train station: Musselburgh (10 minutes from Edinburgh Waverley Station), which is a 1.2 mile (25 minute) walk or 1.6 mile (5 minute) taxi journey from Monkton House.
Bus: 111 or 111X by Prentice of Haddington, the bus stop is in Old Craighall village, 2 minutes walk from Monkton House.
Car: Monkton House is just off the A1 and the A720 Edinburgh City Bypass, postcode EH21 8SF for sat nav.
Air: Edinburgh Airport is 15 miles and Glasgow Airport is 61 miles away
- Central heating throughout
- Open fires or wood burning stoves in the main public rooms, firewood included
- Fully equipped modern kitchen: induction hob, oven, microwave, fridge freezer, bean-to-cup coffee machine, toaster and boiling water tap
- Washing machine and tumble dryer in the laundry room
- Bed linen, towels, soap
- Tea, coffee, sugar, sweetener, salt, pepper, dried herbs and spices, stock cubes, olive oil, rapeseed oil and balsamic vinegar